top of page

Case Study:
Bookstore App

The Bookstore app is designed to connect readers to their local bookstores. This app is designed to streamline the book recommendation and ordering process to help local bookstores stay competitive with larger online book retailers.

My role and responsibilities

Conducting research, interviews, paper and digital wireframing, low and high-fidelity prototyping, conducting usability studies, accounting for accessibility, and iterating on designs.

A geometric Bookstore app logo

The problem

Busy readers do not have time to browse bookstores for books that interest them. Additionally, these readers want a way to support local bookstores in a time-sensitive way.

The goal

The Bookstore app recommends books to local readers and helps them check book availability at local bookstores, creating a streamlined reservation and pickup process.

User emphasis

One primary user group identified through my research was busy adults who do not have a lot of time to browse books in-store.


Research also showed that time wasn’t the only factor. Users also wanted recommendations based on their interests, and greater visibility to local bookstore offerings and events.

Group 4.png
Screenshot 2022-03-31 125541.png
Screenshot 2022-03-31 124022.png
Screenshot 2022-03-31 123831.png

Research insights

The usability study helped identify user needs and room for improvements. Users wanted clarity around the app's different features and easier options for making reservation edits.

paper wireframes revised.jpg

Wireframes and low fidelity prototypes

The low-fidelity prototype connected the primary user flow of selecting a book, finding a bookstore, and making a reservation. Before low-fidelity prototypes were created, I sketched ideas out on paper.

Screenshot 2022-03-31 124412.png
Screenshot 2022-03-31 124114.png

High-fidelity prototype

The high-fidelity prototype presented a more seamless user-flow and incorporated user needs. Easy user flow was a priority for me when designing this app.

Screenshot 2022-03-31 124333.png
Group 4.png
Group 5 (1).png

What I learned

I learned a lot about implementing user feedback and research in my designs. I’ve also learned about accessibility needs and how they may differ from one user to another. Additionally, I learned a lot about designing for a mobile app. 

Challenges and solutions

This project provided a challenge with creating opportunities for feedback and then implementing it to make sure user needs were addressed.

Screenshot 2022-03-31 123351.png
bottom of page